Are you interested in pursuing your research studies abroad? Look no further than Vrije Universiteit Brussels!
Applications are now open for the International PhD Scholarships program, focused on ‘Database Interoperability and European Security Politics (DATAUNION ERC)’, for the academic year 2023-2024.
This blog will provide you with further details on the Vrije Scholarship program, its significance, and the process for applying for the International PhD Scholarship.
Both international and Belgian students are eligible to apply for the program.
To be considered for eligibility, applicants should possess a degree and background in International Relations, EU studies, Surveillance Studies, Science and Technology Studies, Media Studies, Design, or other related fields, and have experience or knowledge of fieldwork research. Successful applicants will receive full coverage of their travel expenses, as well as insurance.
About Vrije Universiteit Brussels
The Vrije Universiteit Brussels, commonly known as VUB, is a research university situated in Brussels, Belgium. The university has a bilingual instruction system in Dutch and English and operates across four campuses.
These are Brussels Humanities, Science, and Engineering Campus located in Elsene, Brussels Health Campus in Jette, Brussels Technology Campus in Anderlecht, and Brussels Photonics Campus in Gooik.
Established in 1970, the Vrije Universiteit Brussel was created from the division of the Free University of Brussels, which was originally founded in 1834 by Pierre-Théodore Verhaegen, a liberal politician and lawyer. Verhaegen’s vision was to establish a university that was free from the influence of state and religion, where academic autonomy would thrive.
On average, the research articles produced by this university receive more citations than those from any other Flemish university. The university is structured into eight faculties, each tasked with fulfilling the university’s three central missions: education, research, and community service.
These faculties encompass a wide range of fields of knowledge, including the natural sciences, classics, life sciences, social sciences, humanities, and engineering. The university offers bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral programs to approximately 8,000 undergraduate and 1,000 graduate students.
The Vrije Universiteit Brussels regards itself as a university that fosters open-mindedness and tolerance. It is guided by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, with a particular emphasis on the principle of unrestricted exploration for the betterment of humanity.
The university has gained recognition not only among national students but also among international students. It is currently ranked 292nd in the Best Global Universities and 251st in the QS World University Rankings 2023.
Why should you choose Vrije Universiteit Brussels as your place of study?
As a research-focused institution, Vrije Universiteit Brussels is dedicated to making a proactive and impactful contribution to improving society. With a strong emphasis on quality research grounded in local contexts, the university endeavours to advance society through its research, education, and social initiatives.
Our unwavering dedication to providing high-quality education is reflected in our impressive ranking on the QS World University List. As per this prestigious ranking, VUB is placed among the top 17% of the world’s most prestigious universities.
This makes us the leading university in Belgium in terms of educational excellence. In today’s globalized world, studying at VUB offers exciting opportunities to travel abroad as part of your chosen program. With 3 complete English language bachelor’s and 30 English language master’s courses, foreign students can take advantage of an insp.
Our goal as an Urban Engaged University is to provide personalized education for each student and strive for excellence with a positive influence. Embrace the Enlightenment Principles of critical thinking, free inquiry, and radical humanism, and collaborate with us to initiate social initiatives that improve our world’s learning environment.
Our unwavering dedication to providing top-notch education is evident in the QS World University Ranking. VUB ranks in the top 17% of the world’s most prestigious universities according to this prestigious list, making us the leading Belgian university in terms of educational excellence.
Vrije Brussel Scholarship Details
- Name of university: Vrije Universiteit Brussels
- Department: Faculty of Law and Criminology
- Program: PhD
- Scholarship: Full Reimbursement and Others
- Number of awards: No awards were given
- Eligible countries: Local and International Student
- Country of award: Belgium
Vrije Brussels Scholarship Eligibility
- The application is open to students worldwide. The PhD programme available at the Faculty of Law and Criminology, Department Metajuridica, Vrije Universiteit Brussels is eligible for application.
- To qualify, applicants must fulfil the following criteria:
- Have a background in International Relations, EU studies, Surveillance Studies, Science and Technology Studies, Media Studies, Design, or other relevant fields.
- Possess a keen interest in European security and border policies and understand the connection between surveillance technologies and fundamental rights.
- Demonstrate experience with qualitative research methods.
Vrije Brussels Application Requirement
To apply, students can begin their admission applications on this website. However, those who are interested in applying for the scholarship must complete a separate scholarship application form by accessing this link and logging in.
To be eligible for admission, candidates should hold a Master’s degree. They should possess a background in fields such as International Relations, EU Studies, Surveillance Studies, Science and Technology Studies, Media Studies, Design or related disciplines.
Additionally, candidates must be highly proficient in English with exceptional academic writing skills. Fluency in other official European languages may provide candidates with an advantage.
Documents required for Vrije Brussel Scholarships
The university requires students to provide the following documents as part of their application:
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Letter of motivation
- One writing sample
- Attained the highest degree.
Benefits of applying for a scholarship at Vrije Brussel Universiteit
The Vrije Universiteit Brussels has selected candidates to receive a full-time PhD scholarship for a duration of 12 months, who will also be entitled to the following benefits:
- Full reimbursement for commuting between home and work via public transport, in accordance with VUB policy. Alternatively, they will receive compensation if they choose to travel by bike.
- Cost-free hospitalization insurance.
- Access to VUB LRN, which provides a platform for continuous learning and allows candidates to shape their job content.
- Excellent sports and exercise facilities.
- Delicious meals at affordable prices in campus restaurants.
- A family-friendly work environment that emphasizes work-life balance, as well as exceptional holiday arrangements that include 35 days of leave based on a full-time contract.
To get more information about the scholarship opportunity, kindly visit Vrije Universiteit Brussel’s official website to get the latest updates.
Other Scholarship Opportunities: