We are delighted to notify you that the University of Washington is currently accepting applications for admission. Therefore, we would like to extend an invitation to the cohort to apply for the upcoming 2023-2024 academic session.
In this blog post, I will furnish you with all the prerequisites for admission. Additionally, I will present you with a synopsis of the University of Washington, along with the reasons for selecting it.
About the University of Washington
The University of Washington, a non-profit public state higher-education institution, was established in 1861 and is situated in the urban setting of Seattle, a large city with a population range of 500,000-1,000,000 inhabitants in Washington. The institution has additional campuses located in Bothell and Tacoma.
Accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, the University of Washington (UW) is a coeducational US higher education institution with an enrollment range of over 45,000 students. The university offers various courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees, such as bachelor’s degrees, master’s degrees, and doctorate degrees in multiple areas of study.
These degrees are indicated in the UniRank degree levels and areas of study matrix. UW has a selective admission policy that considers entrance examinations, students’ past academic records, and grades. The admission rate ranges from 40-50%, making it an averagely selective institution.
International students are also encouraged to apply for enrollment. Additionally, the University of Washington provides a range of academic and non-academic facilities and services to students, including a library, housing, sports facilities, financial aid and/or scholarships, study abroad and exchange programs, online courses, distance learning opportunities, and administrative services.
Established approximately a decade after Seattle’s founding, the University of Washington is one of the oldest universities on the West Coast. It boasts a sprawling 703-acre main campus located in the city’s University District, as well as additional campuses in Bothell and Tacoma.
With over 500 buildings and more than 20 million square feet of space, the university is home to one of the largest library systems in the world. This system consists of more than 26 university libraries, art centres, museums, laboratories, lecture halls, and stadiums. It offers degrees through 140 departments and operates on a quarter system.
As the flagship institution of the six public universities in Washington state, the University of Washington is renowned for its medical, engineering, and scientific research. It is a member of the Association of American Universities and, according to the National Science Foundation, ranked 5th in the nation for research and development spending in 2018.
This is based on the $1.41 billion invested in these areas. Many notable alumni and faculty are associated with the university. These include 21 Nobel Prize laureates, Pulitzer Prize winners, Fulbright Scholars, Rhodes Scholars, Marshall Scholars, and members of other distinguished institutions.
The university’s historic ties and collaborations with leading technology companies in the region, such as Amazon, Boeing, Nintendo, and especially Microsoft, continue to benefit its research and programs. Microsoft co-founders Bill Gates and the late Paul G. Allen spent considerable time in the university’s computer labs for a startup venture before founding Microsoft and other ventures.
In addition to its academic prowess, the University of Washington also boasts highly competitive sports teams, known as the Huskies, which compete in the Pac-12 Conference of NCAA Division I. The university’s 22 varsity sports teams also represent the United States at the Olympic Games and other major competitions.
Why choose the University of Washington?
The University of Washington stands out as a leading public institution worldwide. As part of its core values, it is dedicated to a strong faith in potential and a resolute outlook on the future. Additionally, it values its relationships with individuals, whether they are local or international.
It also fosters a drive for growth that motivates its community to confront difficulties and strive for advancement. Our fundamental belief is that by working together, we can create a better world. UW Professional & Continuing Education strives to eliminate obstacles and provide educational opportunities for learners of all kinds.
We exist to serve innovators, career switchers, professionals, dreamers, and those who are endlessly inquisitive. The University of Washington has been a centre for education, creativity, problem-solving, and community-building since its establishment in 1861. Our students, faculty, and staff are motivated by a commitment to serving the common good. With courage and ingenuity, we take on the most critical issues of our time, making a meaningful impact not just in Washington state but also globally.
The University of Washington Identity
- Name of university: University of Washington
- Acronym: UW
- Year of creation: 18861
- Motto: Lux sit ( Let there be light)
- Colours: Purple and gold
The University of Washington Campus Location
Address: 1400 NE Campus Parkway
Tel +1 (206) 543 2100
Fax +1 (206) 543 9285
Other Locations: Bothell, Tacoma
The University of Washington Academic Program
The UniRank Study Areas and Degree Levels Matrix™ include undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in various fields, such as Arts and Humanities, Business and Social Sciences, Language and Cultural Studies, Medicine and Health, Engineering, as well as Science and Technology.
The University of Washington Tuition Range
Annual tuition rates by uniRank™ for undergraduate and postgraduate programs are listed below:
- Program Level | Local Students | International Students
- Undergraduate | 10,000-12,500 US$ (7,400-9,200 Euro) | over 20,000 US$ (14,700 Euro)
- Postgraduate | 15,000-17,500 US$ (11,000-12,900 Euro) | over 20,000 US$ (14,700 Euro)
The University of Washington Admissions Information/Requirement
University Admissions Information:
- The University welcomes both men and women applicants and encourages international students to apply.
- The selection process is based on entrance examinations, past academic records and grades.
- To be considered for admission, applicants are required to have a secondary school GPA and have completed a college-preparatory program.
- Recommendations are not necessary, but a formal demonstration of competencies is recommended. Admission test scores, as well as a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), are also required.
- Secondary school rank is neither required nor recommended, and other tests such as Wonderlic and WISC-III are neither required nor recommended.
- The admission rate is between 40-50%.
- The admission office is located at 1410 Northeast Campus Parkway, Box 355852, Seattle 98195-5852, and can be reached at (206) 543-9686.
The University of Washington Profile: Public, Non-Profit, Urban
- Size and Type of Institution: This is a non-profit public state university with an enrollment of over 45,000 students and more than 5,000 academic staff.
- The university operates on a quarterly academic calendar and is located in an urban campus setting.
- There is no religious affiliation associated with this institution.
The University of Washington Academic Classification
Carnegie Classification categorizes this institution as a Doctoral University with Very High Research Activity. In the 2000 classification, it was classified as an extensive doctoral/research university. It is a large, predominantly residential four-year institution with a majority undergraduate enrollment.
The undergraduate population is composed of full-time, four-year students, and the institution is selective with a low rate of transfer-in students. The instructional program for undergraduates includes the arts and sciences as well as professional programs, and there is a high level of coexistence with graduate students.
The graduate instructional program has a balanced focus on the arts and sciences as well as professional programs. There is also a high level of coexistence with undergraduate students.
The University of Washington Seattle Campus Service
Facilities and Services available at the University of Washington-Seattle Campus include:
- Library: The University of Washington-Seattle Campus has a large library collection comprising physical and digital/ computer items. The library reported 5,118,519 physical volumes, 650,825 physical media, 136,371 digital/electronic mediums and 283 licensed digital/electronic databases in 2018. There are 12 branches of the library on campus.
- Housing: The University of Washington provides on-campus housing with a total dormitory capacity of about 9,560 students in the 2018 academic year.
- Sports Facilities: The University of Washington-Seattle Campus has various sports facilities available.
- FinancialAid:: Students at the University of Washington-Seattle Campus can apply for financial aid.
- Study Abroad: The University of Washington-Seattle Campus offers study abroad programs.
- Distance Learning: The University of Washington-Seattle Campus offers distance learning programs.
- Academic Counseling: Academic counselling services are available for students at the University of Washington-Seattle Campus.
- Career Services: Career services are available to students at the University of Washington-Seattle Campus.
- Institutional Hospital: The University of Washington-Seattle Campus has an institutional hospital.
The University of Washington Accreditation List
The institution has received institutional accreditation from the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities since 1918.
In addition to institutional accreditation, the following specialized or programmatic accreditations have also been granted:
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International)
- Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET
- Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications (ACEJMC)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- The University of Washington List of Membership and Accreditations
- The institutions affiliated with VSC-Vermont State Colleges include
- APRU – Association of Pacific Rim Universities
- AAU -Association of American Universities
- APLU – Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities
- AURA – Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy
- GU8 – Global U8 Consortium
- NAA – National Athletic Association
- NCAA – National Collegiate Athletic Association
The University of Washington’s academic structure
- College of Architecture and Urban Planning
- College of Arts and Science
- College of Education
- College of Engineering
- College of Forest Resources
- College of Ocean and Fisheries Sciences
- Daniel j. Evans School of Public Affairs
- Henry M. Jackson School of International Studies
- Information School
- Michael G. Foster School of Business
- School of Dentistry
- School of Law
School of Medicine
- School of Nursing
- School of Pharmacy
- School of Public Health and Community Medicine
- School of Social Work
- Graduate School
The University of Washington Social Media Accounts
- Facebook: The University of Washington’s Facebook page for social networking
- Twitter: the University of Washington’s Twitter page for micro-blogging and news updates
- LinkedIn: The University of Washington’s LinkedIn profile for business and academic networking
- YouTube: The University of Washington’s YouTube channel for videos
- TikTok: Currently not available
- Instagram: University of Washington’s Instagram or Flickr account for photos
To get more information about the university of Washington admission, kindly visit the university of Washington’s official website to get the latest updates
Other Admission Opportunities: