Applications are being welcomed by the University of Pretoria for the 2023 “Scholarship for Sustainable Energy Development” program designed for international students hailing from developing nations.
By reading this blog post, you can discover further details about the Sustainable Development Scholarships, the advantages they offer, and how you can easily initiate the application process. Therefore, continue reading to explore more information about scholarship opportunities.
The scholarship initiative is available to inspire students to pursue studies in any area associated with sustainable energy development at universities located in developing nations.
About the University of Pretoria
The University of Pretoria, also known as Universiteit van Pretoria in Afrikaans and Yunibesithi ya Pretoria in Northern Sotho, is a public research university with multiple campuses situated in Pretoria, the administrative and de facto capital of South Africa.
It was founded in 1908 as the Pretoria campus of Transvaal University College in Johannesburg. It is the fourth institution in South Africa to be granted university status and operates continuously. Initially, it had only 32 students in a single late Victorian house, but its enrollment has grown to around 53,000 students in 2019.
The university occupies 1,190 hectares (2,900 acres) of land across seven suburban campuses.
The University of Pretoria comprises nine faculties and a business school. Its Faculty of Veterinary Science, established in 1920, is the second-oldest veterinary school in Africa and the sole veterinary school in South Africa.
The university’s Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS) was the first in South Africa to launch an MBA programme outside of North America in 1949. GIBS has continuously been ranked as the top business school in Africa for executive education and is placed in the top 50 globally.
In 2012, the Financial Times ranked the GIBS Executive MBA as the top programme in Africa and the 60th globally.
Since 1997, the University of Pretoria has produced the highest number of research outputs annually compared to any other higher education institution in South Africa. This is according to the Department of Education’s accreditation benchmark.
In 2008, the university awarded 15.8% of all masters and doctorate degrees in the country, which is the largest percentage nationwide. The University of Pretoria is commonly known as UP, Tuks, or Tukkies. In post-nominals, the university is usually abbreviated as Pret or UP, although official publications may also use Pretoria.
The University’s accomplishments and research performance, both locally and internationally, are strengthened by its partnerships and collaborations with the private sector, industry, science councils, foundations, and NGOs. The institution produces a significant number of graduates, particularly in doctoral and other postgraduate programs,
including scientists and engineers. Its emphasis on innovation directly contributes to enhancing South Africa’s competitiveness.
Why should you study at the University of Pretoria?
With nine faculties and a business school, the University of Pretoria provides quality education. The institution is dedicated to conducting research that has a significant impact on society by seeking solutions to some of the world’s most pressing issues.
Our degrees are accredited locally as well as internationally. We have agreements with relevant legal accreditation bodies worldwide, ensuring that qualifications bearing the UP name are always acknowledged.
University of Pretoria Scholarship Details
- Name of university: University of Pretoria
- Department: No information was given
- Program: Master
- Scholarship: $10,000 annually
- Mode of application: Online
- Eligible countries: All international students
- Country of award: South Africa
University of Pretoria Scholarship Criteria
- All students from developing countries are eligible to apply for the award.
- The scholarship will be granted for master’s degree studies in the following subjects at the University of Pretoria:
- GIBS Business School
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Engineering, Built Environment, and IT
- Faculty of Economic and Management Science
- Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences
- Prospective applicants must meet the following admissible criteria to be eligible for this scholarship:
- Be full-time master’s students
- Be from a developing country
- Pursue studies in any field related to sustainable energy development (such as renewable energy, advanced electricity technologies, and public policy).
- Pursue full-time studies for at least one full school year (two or three semesters) starting in mid to late 2023.
- Be a citizen of a developing country listed as an official development aid received by the Development Assistance Committee of the OECD.
- Be committed to contributing to their home country’s development after completing their studies
- Be an outstanding student with excellent grades in the top 20% of their class, a commitment to zero-carbon energy development, a history of community involvement, and a determination to advance their knowledge and understanding
- Undertake master’s-level studies in a field related to sustainable energy development.
University of Pretoria Scholarship Application Process
- To submit an application for the ESED Scholarship, candidates need to access the online application form by logging into globalelectricity.submit.com/show/1.
- To study at the University of Pretoria, SA, applicants must meet all entry requirements
- The TOEFL or IELTS test is required for all international applicants whose first language is not English
Documents required for the University of Pretoria Scholarship
- Applicants are required to present the following documents when submitting their applications:
- professional CV/ Resume
- A passport/ Birth Certificate
- Admission letter to the master’s program of your choice
- Program outline for the master’s degree
- Academic transcripts from both previous and current universities.
- Completion of the Academic Reference Form
- Applicants should note that all documents must be prepared in English.
- You must provide both the original document and a certified translation if the original language is not English.
Benefits of applying for Sustainable Development Scholarships
Pretoria University will provide up to $10,000 per year for at most two years. A total of 12 students are selected each year.
To get more information about the scholarship opportunity, kindly visit the University of Pretoria’s official website to get the latest updates.
Other Scholarship Opportunities:
Vital Voices Global Partnership offers Fully-Funded International Fellowships to Advance Women’s Public Leadership and SDGS in the USAhttps://scholarshiplink.org/vital-voices-global-partnership-offers-fully-funded-international-fellowships-to-advance-womens-public-leadership-and-sdgs-in-the-usa/