We welcome exceptional candidates to apply for the University of Otago China Scholarship Council Doctoral Scholarship in New Zealand for the 2023-2024 academic year.
This is a fantastic opportunity. And I am sure you don’t want to miss out on this excellent opportunity. If so, keep reading this article, as I will walk through the steps to follow to successfully apply for the scholarship opportunity. In addition, you will learn more about the scholarship program and how you can be a beneficiary of this scholarship program.
The University of Otago is offering to fund a PhD scholarship, which will be granted to students seeking admission to a PhD program. Successful applicants will be granted a tuition fee waiver for a maximum of 4 years of full-time
the study, as well as a top-up of the monthly stipend provided by the China Scholarship Council Scholarship, equivalent to the value of a University of Otago Doctoral Scholarship stipend.
About the University of Otago
The University of Otago, also known as Te Whare Wānanga o Ōtākou in Māori, is a public research university located in Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand. Established in 1869, it is not only the oldest university in New Zealand but also one of the oldest in Oceania.
The university was formed by a committee led by Thomas Burns and was officially established by an ordinance of the Otago Provincial Council in 1869. From 1874 to 1961, the University of Otago was affiliated with the Federal University of New Zealand and conferred degrees under its name.
Otago is renowned for its lively student culture, especially the tradition of “flatting,” which involves students living in old houses. These flats often have unique names given by their occupants. Additionally, Otago students are referred to as “Scarfies” due to their penchant for wearing scarves to keep warm in the chilly southern winters.
The university is structured into four academic divisions, namely the Division of Humanities, Division of Health Sciences, Division of Sciences, and the Otago Business School.
The University of Otago consistently ranks in the top 1% of universities globally and has earned a 5-Stars Plus rating in the QS Stars System, the highest possible rating based on the quality of its facilities, teaching, graduate employability, internationalization, and inclusiveness.
In addition to having 5 subjects listed in the top 50 worldwide, the university boasts 10 subjects ranked between 51st and 100th in the QS World University Rankings. Otago also has 15 subjects in the best 100, 7 in the top 101 to 150 range, and 6 in the best 151 to 200 range.
The university made history in 2015 when it became the first New Zealand institution to have a course featured on a QS Top 10 list. This was with its dentistry program ranking 8th.
Why should you study at the University of Otago?
The University of Otago is renowned for its stunning campus and exceptional student experience, making it one of the most appealing institutions worldwide. With a focus on developing well-rounded, adaptable, and resilient graduates, the university has a stellar reputation among employers.
To further enhance their experience, students can access numerous dedicated on-campus support services that provide them with the most effective possible education.
The University of Otago has consistently demonstrated outstanding academic performance and is ranked as the top university in New Zealand. Over the past 9 years, our educators have been recognized for their exceptional teaching skills, winning the prestigious Prime Minister’s Supreme Award for Teaching Excellence 6 times.
Our faculty consists of some of the most distinguished professors and lecturers in New Zealand. These professors and lecturers are recognized for their expertise and are on par with the finest educators in the world.
According to student surveys, the level of satisfaction among students is exceptionally high. This is because 98% expressed satisfaction with administration and support, 98% with campus safety, 99% with libraries, 98% with residential colleges, and 97% with sports and recreation facilities.
The University of Otago Scholarship Details
- Name of university: University of Otago
- Department: No information was given
- Program: PhD
- Scholarship: tuition fee waiver
- Mode of application: Online
- Number of awards: Differs
- Eligible countries: All International Student
- Country of award: New Zealand
- Deadline for Submission: No information was given
Scholarship eligibility for the University of Otago
- This scholarship opportunity is open to all nationalities. Applicants must meet certain criteria in order to qualify for a PhD degree at the University of Otago.
- Firstly, applicants must meet the eligibility standards set by the China Scholarship Council for one of its scholarships.
- For further information, interested applicants should refer to the official website of the China Scholarship Council.
- Additionally, applicants must have been accepted into the University of Otago’s PhD program.
- It should be noted that Doctoral and Master’s scholarships are typically only available to domestically Fee-Paying Students unless otherwise stated or outlined in the schedule.
- However, international candidates studying for professional doctorates may still apply, although their tuition fee waiver will be capped at the domestic rate if they are awarded a scholarship.
- For applicants seeking a doctoral scholarship, confirmation of the scholarship award is subject to the approval of their admission application to the relevant doctoral program. This is in addition to the completion of the enrolment procedure.
- Meanwhile, for those applying for a Master’s scholarship, confirmation of the scholarship award is dependent on their application to register as a Master’s candidate. This is in addition to the completion of the enrolment procedure.
Application requirements for a scholarship at the University of Otago
- To apply for the scholarship, interested candidates must utilize the official online platform and complete the application process through the university. Upon acceptance, successful candidates will receive an invitation to apply for the scholarship.
- As part of the application process, applicants must provide the following supporting documents: academic transcripts, proof of identification, research proposal, CV, and a copy of a valid passport.
- In terms of admission requirements, applicants must possess a minimum of a two-year master’s degree in a relevant field of study.
- To meet the language requirements, applicants must achieve the minimum scores for the following English language proficiency tests: IELTS – 6.0, TOEFL IBT – 80, TOEFL PBT – 500, CAE – 176, CPE – 176, and PTE Academic – 58.
Benefits of applying for a scholarship at the University of Otago
The scholarship offered is subject to the availability of funds and is selective. The amount awarded will vary and will be granted as a tuition fee waiver for up to 4 years.
The scholarship is only available for full-time study, and recipients will receive a top-up of the monthly stipend from the China Scholarship Council Scholarship to match the value of a University of Otago Doctoral Scholarship stipend.
To get more information about the scholarship opportunity, kindly visit the University of Otago’s official website to get the latest updates.
Other Scholarship Opportunities: