Prospective students who intend to pursue their studies at Purdue University during the 2023-2024 academic session can now submit their applications.
As your guide, I am available to assist you throughout the admission process and share valuable information about the benefits of attending this esteemed university.
About Purdue University
Purdue University, a non-profit public state higher-education institution, was founded in 1869 and is located in the suburban setting of West Lafayette, Indiana, a large town with a population range of 10,000-49,999 inhabitants. The university is officially accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and has a very large enrollment of over 45,000 co-educational students.
PU offers various courses and programs that lead to recognized degrees at different levels, including pre-bachelor degrees, bachelor’s degrees, master’s degrees, and doctorate degrees in various areas of study. The admission process is selective and based on entrance exams, past academic records, and grades, with an admission rate range of 50-60%, making it an average selective institution.
International applicants are also eligible to apply for enrollment. PU provides a range of academic and non-academic facilities and services to its students, such as the library, housing, sports facilities, financial aid/scholarships, study abroad/exchange programs, online courses, distance learning opportunities, and administrative services.
Established in 1869 with a generous donation from Lafayette businessman John Purdue, the university was founded as a college of science, technology, and agriculture bearing his name. The inaugural classes began on September 16, 1874, with a faculty of six instructors and 39 students.
Over the years, Purdue has earned a distinguished reputation and is regarded as one of the finest public universities in the United States. It is especially renowned for its exceptional engineering program.
The West Lafayette campus offers more than 200 undergraduate majors, over 70 master’s and doctoral programs, and professional degrees in pharmacy, veterinary medicine, and doctor of nursing practice. Additionally, Purdue is home to 18 intercollegiate sports teams and a whopping 900+ student organizations.
It’s the founding member of the Big Ten Conference and has the largest student body of any individual university campus in Indiana, as well as the ninth-largest foreign student population of any university in the US.
Purdue University is a member of the Association of American Universities and is classified among “R1: Doctoral Universities – Very high research activity”. Its faculty, students, alumni, and affiliates have established significant and influential positions in various fields, including business, media, politics, and science.
Purdue has had affiliations with 13 Nobel laureates, 1 Turing Award laureate, 2 World Food Prize laureates, 3 Pulitzer Prize winners, 18 Olympic medalists, 3 National Medal of Technology and Innovation recipients, 2 National Medal of Science recipients, 3 Presidential Medal of Freedom recipients, 7 members of Congress, 3 US governors, and 2 heads of state.
The university boasts over 400,000 living alumni, including 26 astronauts, 6 current Fortune 500 CEOs, 2 Rhodes Scholars, 4 Truman Scholars, and 3 Gates Scholars.
Why choose Purdue University?
Purdue University is committed to providing outstanding career preparation for its students. By offering professional development opportunities before and after graduation, Purdue is helping its students gain the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in their chosen careers.
Graduate student job fairs and travel grants to conferences also provide students with opportunities to network with potential employers and industry leaders.
Furthermore, with a large alumni network of over 450,000, Purdue provides its students with a valuable resource for networking and job opportunities even after graduation.
This can be particularly beneficial for students who are just starting out in their careers and looking to establish connections in their chosen fields.
Overall, it seems like Purdue is taking a proactive approach to ensuring that its students are well-prepared for their future careers and have the resources they need to succeed both during and after their time at the university.
At Purdue, our faculty are dedicated to tackling complex global issues and will provide personal mentoring throughout your plan of study as a graduate student. Our faculty includes two Nobel Prize Winners, two National Medal of Science Laureates, three World Food Prize Laureates, and four National Medal of Technology and Innovation Laureates.
Purdue is a worldwide leader in discovery and innovation, with $520.6 million in research awards in FY 2018, an all-time university record.
We are also the 8th most innovative school in the U.S. and have cutting-edge facilities such as 400+ research labs, 139 research centres and institutes, and 13 on-campus libraries.
As a graduate student at Purdue, you can also take advantage of financial support through a variety of assistantships and fellowships, with the university ranked as the 7th excellent value school in the U.S. and the 1st highest value in the Big Ten.
Our campus community is active and vibrant, with nearly 1000 student clubs and organizations, a state-of-the-art recreational sports centre, and five major cultural centres.
You’ll find plenty of affordable housing options in West Lafayette and Lafayette. These cities boast a wide array of entertainment, food, shopping, and businesses. They are centrally located one hour from Indianapolis and two hours from Chicago.
Purdue also offers outstanding career preparation, with professional development opportunities, graduate student job fairs, travel grants, and an alumni network of over 450,000.
Our graduates are the 8th most employable public university graduates in the U.S., with the 6th most alumni serving as Fortune 500 CEOs and the 13th largest internship/co-op program. We are also ranked in the top 5 for student use of career services.
Purdue University’s identity
- Name of the university: Purdue University
- Acronym: PU
- Year of creation: 1869
- Motto: Education, Research, Service
- Colours: Old gold and black
Purdue University Campus Location
Address: 1088 Freehafer Hall
Tel+1 (765) 494 4600
Fax+1 (765) 494 0544
Purdue University Academic Degree levels
UniRank’s matrix categorizes study areas and degree levels into the following groups:
- Arts & Humanities
- Business & Social Sciences
- Language & culture
- Medicine & Health
- Science & Technology
- Arts & Humanities
- Business & Social Sciences
- Language & culture
- Medicine & Health
- Science & Technology
Purdue University Tuition Range Details
The UniRank Tuition Range Matrix™ provides the following yearly tuition ranges for undergraduate and postgraduate programs:
- Local students: 7,500-10,000 US dollars (or 5,500-7,400 euros) for both undergraduate and postgraduate programs.
- International students: Over 20,000 US dollars (or 14,700 euros) for both undergraduate and postgraduate programs
Purdue University Admission Guidelines
- A co-ed university that welcomes both men and women
- International students are encouraged to apply for admission
- Selection for admission is based on the past academic record, grades, and entrance examinations
- Admission requirements include an average high school GPA and completion of a college-preparatory program
- Recommendations are also required
- No formal demonstration of competence is necessary
- Admission test scores are mandatory, while the TOEFL and other tests are not required
- The admission rate falls between 50-60%
- The Admission Office is located at 475 Stadium Mall Drive, West Lafayette 47907-2050, and can be reached at (765) 494-1776.
Purdue University Enrollment Profile
Size and Characteristics: This institution has a student enrollment of over 45,000 and employs between 2,000 and 2,499 academic staff members. It is a public state-controlled, non-profit organization that operates on a semester-based academic calendar. The campus is located in a suburban setting and is a land-grant institution. There is no religious affiliation associated with this institution.
Purdue University’s Academic Classification
- Carnegie Classification: Category: Doctoral Universities with Very High Research Activity
- 2000 Classification: Extensive Doctoral/Research Universities
- Size and Setting: A primarily residential institution with a large four-year enrollment
- Enrollment Profile: Primarily high-achieving undergraduate students
- Undergraduate Profile: A selective, four-year, full-time institution with low transfer-in rates
- Undergraduate Instructional Program: A combination of professional and arts and sciences programs with a significant emphasis on graduate education
- Graduate Instructional Program: An even balance between arts and sciences and professional programs, with a significant emphasis on graduate education.
Purdue University Facilities and Services
Facilities and Services:
- Library: Purdue University-Main Campus offers access to a diverse collection of resources, including physical items such as books and media, as well as digital/ electronically accessible materials. As of 2018, the library reported a collection of 946,376 physical volumes, 16,729 physical media, 20,999 digital/electronic media, and 599 licensed digital/electronic databases. To access the library, please visit Purdue University’s Library.
- Housing: Purdue University provides on-campus housing, with a total dormitory capacity of approximately 14,213 students during the 2018 academic year.
- Sports Facilities: Purdue University-Main Campus offers various sports facilities for its students.
- Financial Aid: Financial aid is available to eligible students at Purdue University-Main Campus.
- Study Abroad: Purdue University-Main Campus provides opportunities for students to study abroad.
- Distance Learning: Purdue University-Main Campus offers distance learning programs for its students.
- Academic Counseling: Academic counselling services are available to students at Purdue University-Main Campus.
- Career Services: Career services are available to students at Purdue University-Main Campus.
- Institutional Hospital: Information about an institutional hospital at Purdue University-Main Campus was not reported.
Purdue University Accreditation Details
Institutional Accreditation: The Higher Learning Commission
Other Specialized or Programmatic Accreditations:
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International).
- Applied and Natural Science Accreditation Commission (ANSAC) of ABET
- Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET
- Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission (ETAC) of ABET
- Computing Accreditation Commission (CAC) of ABET
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
Purdue University Affiliations and Membership Details
- Purdue University System (PUS)
- Association of American Universities (AAU).
- Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU).
- Big Ten Academic Alliance (BTAA).
- Midwest Universities Consortium for International Activities (MUCIA).
- National Athletic Association (NAA).
- National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).
Purdue University’s academic structure
- College of Agriculture
- College of Consumer and Family Sciences
- College of Education
- College of Engineering
- College of Science
- College of Technology
- Krannert School of Management
- School of Veterinary Medicine
- Graduate school
Purdue University Social Media Accounts
Facebook: Purdue University’s social networking page on Facebook
Twitter: Purdue University’s page for micro-blogging and news updates on Twitter
LinkedIn: Purdue University’s profile for professional and academic networking on LinkedIn
YouTube: Purdue University’s channel for videos on YouTube or Vimeo
TikTok: Purdue University does not have an official TikTok account.
Instagram: Purdue University’s account for sharing photos on Instagram or Flickr.
To get more information about the admission. kindly visit Purdue University’s admission official website to get the latest updates.
Other Admission Opportunities: