If you are a student from a non-EEA/EETA country that has been looking forward to pursuing your Master’s degree, Leiden University is offering an Excellence Scholarship to candidates from any part of the world.
To get more detailed information regarding this scholarship opportunity, please kindly read this post to the end and follow all the necessary instructions.
Language Requirement: TOEFL, IELTS
Gender; Male, Female
Eligible Region/Countries: Open for all non-EEA/Non-EFTA students
Medium of Instruction: English
Opportunity ID: 11129
Funding Type: Partially Funded
The Leiden University Excellence Scholarship (LExS) 2023 in the Netherlands is now accepting applications for master’s scholarships. The Leiden University Scholarship will not be given to applicants who have already received a Master’s degree from the university, with the exception of those enrolling in a Master’s program that demands a specified prior Master’s degree or relevant professional experience (e.g. LLM advanced studies programs).
Host University: Leiden University
Opportunity Type: Partially funded
Degree level: Master’s
Eligible Nationalities: Non-EEA/Non-EFTA students
Exception: For Advanced LLMs and MSc International Relations and Diplomacy, all nationalities are eligible.
Fields of Study:
- Governance and Global Affairs
- Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Interfaculty Center for Teacher Training
- Educational development and further training
- African Studies Centre,
- International Institute for Asian Studies
Benefits of Leiden University Excellence Scholarship:
The LExS Master’s Degree Scholarship is given for the duration of the program of study. There are three levels of awards available:
- € 10,000 tuition fee
- € 15,000 tuition fee.
- Full tuition fee without statutory tuition fee
NOTE: It is important to note that the LExS is not a complete scholarship. Non-EEA LExS participants must still provide ‘evidence of sufficient funds’ when applying for a student visa or residence permit.
Eligibility Criteria for Leiden University Excellence Scholarship:
- Students must have excelled in their previous academic program(s), which must be relevant to the Master’s program for which they are applying. As an example, the student was in the top 10% of his or her previous study program’s grades. It’s worth noting that confirmation of ranking isn’t required; this data is only provided to reflect the degree of competition.
- Applicants must hold a passport that is not from the European Economic Area (EEA) or the European Free Trade Association (EFTA).
- Students who are awarded a LExS must follow the rules and regulations related to the scholarship and confirm their consent in writing before the scholarship is awarded.
- Scholarships will not be offered to applicants who have already earned a Master’s degree from Leiden University, with the exception of students applying for a Master’s program that requires a specific previous Master’s program or work experience (e.g. LLM advanced studies programs).
- It is not possible to combine the LExS with another Leiden University scholarship.
- The LExS cannot be combined with another full scholarship from an outside source. If a student receives a full scholarship from another source, they must contact the scholarships department. The LExS may be coupled with a partial scholarship from an external supplier in specific cases.
Required Documents for Leiden University Excellence Scholarship:
- A photocopy of a valid passport or identification card
- A copy of a residency permit in the Netherlands (if applicable)
- Résumé (CV)
- English language proficiency (if applicable)
- Diplomas and transcripts copies
- Motivational letter
- Recommendation letters
- Other documents specific to the program
How to apply for Leiden University Excellence Scholarship (LExS)?
- Apply for a Master’s program at Leiden University online and pay the application fee if necessary.
- Indicate that you want to apply for a LExS in the scholarship part of your online application.
- As directed in your online application, upload your LExS motivation letter. This is a 500-word PDF file in which you explain why you want to be considered for the award.
- Before the LExS application deadline, submit your online application, which includes your LExS application.
- If you apply for multiple study programs and want to apply for a LExS for each, make sure to specify this in each application and file a LExS motivation letter for each.
Up to 6 weeks after the LExS deadline, the faculty selection committees will nominate LExS recipients and notify the Scholarships Team. All LExS applicants will be notified of the following decisions by the Scholarships Team:
- By the end of April for September intake.
For more information about Leiden University Excellence Scholarship (LExS), please visit Leiden University’s website.
- Queen Mary University of London DeepMind Scholarship for Masters Students (Fully Funded)
- 2023/2024 Slovakia Government Scholarships
- Fully Funded Potential Scholarship for Master’s Studies at Maastricht University Holland-High