The University of Alberta is currently accepting Scholarship applications for doctoral candidates in different fields of study. This Scholarship for doctoral candidates is partially funded and is open to all interested candidates across the globe. Here is all you need to know about this Scholarship opportunity.
Gender: Male, Female
Eligible Region/Countries: All
Medium of Instruction: English
Field of study: Several
Opportunity ID: 68770
Funding Type: Partially Funded
Duration: 2 Years
The University of Alberta is now accepting applications for the Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship from international doctoral candidates. The Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship at the University of Alberta in Canada is a $45,000 fund from the Killam Trusts Scholarships.
Outstanding students who are enrolled in or eligible for a doctorate program are encouraged to apply for this one-year scholarship, which is renewable in year two of the grant, students may also receive a certificate of acknowledgment and any appropriate International Graduate Differential Fee.
Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship has an honorary status. If a student receives an outside scholarship, they must take it. So, depending on the amount of the external reward, the Killam Memorial Scholarship may become honorary and may even be lowered or eliminated.
Brief Details about the Scholarship for Doctoral Candidates
- Application Procedure: Departmental Nomination Based
- Departmental Nomination Deadline (GSMS Awards Portal): 15th February 2023 (10:29 pm AFT)
- Host Organization: University of Alberta
- Funding Body: Killam Trust
- Location: Canada
- Duration: 2-Years
- Degree Level: Doctoral
- Gender: Male/Female
- Eligible Countries: All
- Fields of Study: Various
Benefits of the Izaak Walton Scholarship for Doctoral Candidates
Outstanding students can benefit from the Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship program for one year’s scholarship subject to renewable in year two of the award. In addition, students can benefit from any applicable International Graduate Differential Fee and a certificate of acknowledgment.
Also, eligible holders of the Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship at the graduate level can benefit from parental leave. This benefit is effective 01st January 2023 and intended to support beneficiaries who do not have access to other paid parental leave.
Eligibility Criteria for the Izaak Walton Scholarship for Doctoral Candidates
All candidates should meet the following requirements to apply for the Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship 2023:
- Registered in or admissible to a doctoral program which is up to and including the sixth year;
Note: Transferred students from a Master’s to a Doctoral program can benefit from the number of months completed during the Master’s program towards the Doctoral Program.
- Being registered in a full-time doctoral program for at least 18 months as of May 2023;
- Must not have completed more than 48 months in the doctoral program as of 31st December 2022;
- Hold first-class academic standing equivalent to a 3.5 Grade Point Average (GPA);
- Hold the citizenship of any country;
- Apply for all fields available in the University;
- Should have completed at least one year of graduate work at the master’s or doctoral level before 1st May or 1st September.
To receive the Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship and the Dorothy J Killam Memorial Graduate Prize, submit any requirements to the relevant department. Applicants should apply before the departmental deadline and complete the following. A complete application package includes the following:
- The Scholarship Application Form
- Two Reference Letters are completed and signed by each applicant’s referees; Also, applicants should submit a maximum of an additional two pages of confidential letter of reference to accompany the standard letter of reference form.
Note: Current doctoral students of the University should select one referee from their graduate program supervisor. The referees should submit the reference letters directly to the student’s department;
3. Update Transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate studies; Except for the University of Alberta, all other institutions must submit copies of the official transcripts.
Note: Submit a complete application package and review the application form and documents before submission.
By deadlines, the department must submit eligible nominations to the FGSR via GSMS Awards Portal. Please note that the departments with more than 100 current doctoral graduate students can nominate a maximum of 5 nominations. Departments with less than 100 current doctoral graduate students can select a maximum of 3 nominations for the current year.
The FGSR Graduate Scholarship Committee will adjudicate the competition. The FGSR will notify winners directly about their applications. The departments and students will not receive the final decisions until after the Killam Trustees meeting in May to early June 2023.
How to Apply for Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship?
All applicants should submit an online application for the Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship to their departments by the departmental deadline.
Don’t hesitate to share if you know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity.
Check More Opportunities:
- Boustany Foundation MBA Scholarship 2023 at Harvard University
- Emile Boutmy Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree Scholarship
- 2023 Fully Funded BI Presidential Master’s Scholarship in Norway