The University of Houston-Victoria (UHV) 2023 International Student Merit Scholarship is currently ongoing. This is a partially funded scholarship and it’s open to all international students from anywhere across the globe.
There are a few guidelines and procedures to gaining this scholarship and this Blog post is detailed with every single thing you need to know about this Scholarship Award. Please kindly read to the end to avoid missing any important information
Language Requirement: Not required
Gender: Male, Female
Eligible Region/Countries: International
Medium of Instruction: English
Opportunity ID: 69374
The International Merit Scholarship is open to all graduate and undergraduate students. The scholarship can result in a $300–$10,000 reduction in the overall cost of tuition. (two academic years). The scholarship will be determined by the international students’ resident tuition rates for F-1 and J-1 visa holders.
The reward only covers the cost of tuition and fees. Other expenses like lodging, food, transportation, personal items, books, supplies, or health insurance are not covered by this scholarship. For the scholarship, only UHV students are eligible to apply.
Grants and waivers are available to fall recipients in the autumn, spring, and summer semesters for full-time undergraduate and graduate education at UHV. This award also includes the $1,000 guaranteed scholarship for students living on campus.
Brief Details About UHV International Student Merit Scholarship
- Provided by: University of Houston-Victoria (UHV)
- Location: United States
- Deadline: June 15, 2023
- Announcing date: students will be contacted by email by the first week of July
- Duration: two semesters
- Type: Scholarship
- Eligible Nations: International
Benefits of the UHV International Student Merit Scholarship
Awarding students who live on campus a scholarship with a $1000 guarantee.
- Student accepted at UHV.
- For undergraduate students at UHV, the student must be enrolled in at least 12 credits, and for graduate students at least 9 credits, at the time of grant.
- Current or returning students must have two more semesters to complete their degree (the semester receiving the scholarship cannot be the final semester).
- For undergraduate students, returning/current students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher, and for graduate students, a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Volunteer opportunities must have previous approval. All spring scholarship recipients who are eligible must submit a new application before the deadline for the autumn merit scholarship.
- Students from abroad or those with another type of non-immigrant visa:
- Students on F-1 and J-1 visas must be in good standing as of the state date on their immigration documents or earlier.
- Foreign student orientation is required for F-1 and J-1 students at Victoria or Katy.
- All non-immigrant students must maintain strong academic standing and legal immigration status.
- Has a track record of academic success.
Who is ineligible?
- Graduate students who have been awarded a graduate assistantship or a tuition scholarship.
- Athletic scholarships are being awarded to UHV athletes.
- International students are eligible for the International Student Culture Scholarship.
- Students who are recipients of any other UHV tuition scholarship waivers.
- Students who are recipients of any other UHV competitive scholarships.Students who pay Texas resident tuition.
- Students enrolled part-time at UHV and part-time at another Texas university.
- Failure to keep academic and immigration status throughout the awarding year.
How to Maintaining the International Merit Scholarship?
- Recipients must continue to work full-time.
- During the awarding semester/year, students must maintain acceptable academic and immigration status.
- For the life of the program, scholarship recipients must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 for undergraduate students and 3.0 for graduate students.
- Give 10 volunteer hours to International Programs throughout the fall, spring, and summer semesters to help with events including International Education Week, International Sash Ceremony, and International Festival.
- F-1 and J-1 visa holders are international students.
- Orientation is required for all new overseas students.
- Any outstanding university costs must be paid on or before the due dates by the scholarship winner.
- Recipients who progress from a bachelor’s degree program to a master’s degree program must reapply for the award.
- Every year, the International Merit Scholarship is not guaranteed. Students must apply again by the deadline.
- Two (2) page personal statement outlining why you should be awarded the Merit Scholarship.
- Submit a two-page résumé.
- To begin, fill out the online UHV General Scholarship Application (found here). (After you finish this application, it may claim that the deadline has gone. Don’t worry about it; just keep working on the application. Regardless of the date, they require you to finish this application as well).
- Enter your UHV username and password to log in.
- Second, apply for an International Student Merit Scholarship found in apply now button below.
- You will need to attach the required application criteria. When you press submit, the application and any submitted materials are instantly delivered to the International Programs Office.
- Both of the aforementioned applications MUST be submitted in order for your scholarship application to be considered.
For more information about International Student Merit Scholarship, refer to the University of Houston-Victoria’s website.
If you know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity, please do not hesitate to share.
- University College Dublin offers Global Excellence Scholarships in Ireland
- The Goldsmiths University of London offers a Fully-Funded Kuwait Scholarship, UK
- Alexandros Petersen Scholarship for Master’s Studies by The King’s College London